Friday, December 9, 2016

Keeping on Track

You know in World of Warcraft, how there's a little bar under your hotkeys that shows your experience points and if you hover over it, it'll show your percentage of how close you are to the next level?
I love that bar. I love seeing it go fill up. Honestly, I haven't played WoW since I had my daughter but I still think about that bar sometimes. I love knowing exactly how much I've accomplished and how much I still have to go. I need that instant result to keep me motivated.
I'm the same way about most things in my life. Like washing dishes. Every few dishes I have to step back and see how full the dish drainer is and how many dishes are still waiting to be washed, just so I can see the progress. I need to see progress or I get annoyed and usually give up.
I don't want to give up on this Challenge so tracking progress is pretty important to me. I've got a few methods I'm going to try out and see which ones work the best.

The most obvious one is this blog. I'll be posting what I'm reading and keeping count of how many books I've read. However, I also want this blog to help me be more intentional with what I read and how I read it (but that's another post) so it's main function isn't tracking progress.

I'll also have my Goodreads page. I'll be creating a bookshelf just for the RMSC and using their Reading Challenge function to track my total progress for the year. But again that tracks total progress, not just for the RMSC, I still need something more specific.

My Bibliofile. It's a reader's journal I bought from gonereading.com. I've been using it for the last year and I find that I tend to think more about writing style, and plot lines when I write a review in my reading journal. Not just did I like it or hate it, but really think about what was good and what was bad. I've also started actually reviewing books on Goodreads instead of just marking them as read, which has been fun since one of the authors actually responded to a review once.
I've also been reading a lot about bullet journals and I'm thinking it's something I might try for this challenge. The fact that you can make it into just about anything you want intrigues me. I can have a page to track progress (and I'm ridiculously excited at the prospect of making a graph), and can keep a list of books I've read or plan to read, I can keep a list of books to buy in the future, basically I can list ALL THE BOOKS, and I can keep track of the rest of my life too. And it's all right in front of me at all times which I love. I might also have some type of chart to keep on my fridge. I'm better at keeping up with things if they're right in my face at all times and I won't be able to miss it if it's on the fridge.

Recap of the blog so far;
Read My Shelves Challenge goal: 20 books
Total reading goal for 2017: 35 books
Top 3 challenges: My kid, my house, and my inability to follow through
How I'm keeping track of everything: The Blog, Goodreads, Bullet Journal
Readers so far: 0 (cross my fingers it stays that way)

No comments:

Post a Comment