Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Hey, look! I made a blog!

A reading blog! Because I want to read more. In 2016 (and 2015, and most of 2014) I found myself in a reading slump. I finally got out of it in the fall of 2016! I was so happy, I felt like myself again! But I realized exactly how many unread books I have on my book shelves. It's a lot. A lot, a lot.
So in 2017 my goal is to read only (mostly) books I already own. I can't honestly say I won't buy any new books, or receive them as gifts, and I'm in the middle of a few series that have new books coming out in the coming year and I'm sure I'll be buying them, and some of those new books will get read. But, I want to make an intentional effort to read books I already own, some of which have been sitting on my shelves for years. I'm calling this the Read My Shelves Challenge. I've done the Goodreads reading challenge, but this will be a bit different because only books that I own on or before midnight on December 31, 2016 will count. My goal is to read 20 books for the RMSC. I'm counting e-books I already own because even though they don't necessarily take up room on my book shelves, I own them, and I have hundreds of unread books just sitting on my kindle waiting for me. I think 20 is a good number, since I know I'll be picking up a few new books and I'm part of a book club that meets once a month, so a good total goal for the year is 35 books.
Over the next year I'll be posting what I'm reading, any challenges or road blocks that come up, and probably other stuff about my reading habits, as I try to make better use of my down time and prioritize reading. I know I have some challenges going in to this and over then next few weeks I'll be posting as I formulate my game plan for the coming year. Not having any readers of this blog is probably a good thing for me right now so I won't be sharing this anywhere just yet. Knowing no one is reading will allow me to not feel guilty if I run into problems but the anxiety that someone might read it will keep me accountable. Yay for social anxiety!

So as a recap;
Read My Shelves Challenge! 2017
Total goal; 35 books read
Books I own goal; 20
People reading this blog; 0 (I hope)

No comments:

Post a Comment