Thursday, February 2, 2017

Morning Reading Routines and Genres I Used to Know

I don't currently have much of a morning routine. I get up with The Husband, make his breakfast, pack his lunch, and see him off too work, then I usually have in between thirty minutes and an hour to myself before The Toddler wakes up. The half-ish hour is usually spent scrolling through Pinterest. I feel like I waste that time, but the temptation of Pinterest is too much most mornings, when I'm still tired but don't have enough time to go back to sleep and don't really feel like doing anything else either.
Next week, I'm going to try something a bit different. I tried Fly Lady for a while last year and while the system as a whole didn't really work for me she has some good habits to get into, like getting dressed for the day. Fly Lady says to get dressed TO YOUR SHOES. LACE UP shoes. They have to be lace up shoes so you can't plop your butt on the couch and slip off your shoes at any point in the day, you have to go through the trouble of untying them. But that's crap. I don't like wearing shoes in my house. I like thick, warm, wool socks. So, when I get up I'm going to try and get dressed, even if its just leggings and a tee shirt, and brushing my hair and teeth and all that crap, so maybe I'll feel like doing something other than scrolling through Pinterest.

The goal is to schedule some morning reading time. With The Toddler being a toddler, and the house being shown all the time, and having to cook three meals a day, I've been having trouble finding the time to read during the day. In fact I can feel a very long reading slump coming on, so I figure if reading time is built in to my morning it will make things a bit easier and I can get back on track with my reading goals. And be dressed before 3 pm.

Along with finding time to read I've also been evaluating what I'm reading, and why it's not working for me.

Two of the books I stuck on the DNF list this week were romance novels. Until recently, like the last six months or so, I did NOT read romance. I'm not really an emotional person. It might seem like I am, with my anxiety issues and things, but I really can't deal with other peoples emotions. I mean, seriously, I barely understand my own emotions. If it's not a logical thing chances are I'm probably not going to get it, and romance novels are a LOT of emotions, and illogical decisions. I don't know why I've been drawn to them lately, and I have no problem admitting that I like them, however I think I overloaded on them. And if it doesn't have an actual plot or isn't well written, yea...I'm not reading crap.
The other book I'm having trouble getting through is Gardens of the Moon. I've heard great things about this book and what I've read so far I really like. I have no idea why I can't seem to really get into it. There was a time when all I read was Fantasy books, and now for some reason, I can't seem to get into them at all. I don't know if it's just not having time, or if my tastes in books are changing but I'm going to stick with this one a while longer.

I think knowing when to quit is really the key to things here. In the past, when I've not finished a book it usually lead to some sort of reading slump, which I'm actively trying to avoid. I'm hoping by stopping sooner, and not reading until I hate the idea of picking up another book, I can avoid the slump.




No comments:

Post a Comment