Friday, February 10, 2017

This Month's Book Club Pick

I wrote a bit about the book club I'm a part of earlier this week and I think I'm going to make each month's book club pick a bit of a feature on the blog. Since we only meet once a month it should be pretty simple. After each meeting I'll do a post with a bit of a review of the previous pick and a first impression on the new pick. Each month a different member picks the book, there are eight of us so there's a good mix of styles and genres.

Last month was my pick and I chose The Other Boleyn Girl, which I've already written about several times so I won't go into that again. This month our book was chosen by E (I'm not going to use names, just to protect the other members privacy, since they don't know anything about the blog), and she chose....

Detroit; An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff.

I'm pretty excited to read this one. The last non-fiction we did was A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, and I did not like it, at all. But the city of Detroit is an interesting place. I could say a whole lot about Detroit, both good and bad, but I'm going to try and keep an open mind about it and not let my biases get in the way of the authors views and experiences of the city.

Everyone is pretty excited to read this one, and one of us already read it a few years ago and she says it's excellent. Overall first impression; good, not too long, cover makes it look all gritty and dark, but I hope there's some good things in it too.

I've already picked it up from the library so it will be on the next 'What I'm reading' post and hopefully I'll have good things to say!






No comments:

Post a Comment