Friday, February 24, 2017

The Morning Routine That Wasn't Meant To Be and What I'm Reading Right Now

My 'morning reading routine' idea is pretty much out the window. The Husband's start time for work has changed so he doesn't leave the house until 8 AM and The Toddler has started waking up at 7 AM. So my hour, my one glorious hour, is gone. But on the bright side I've made a real effort to read in the small minutes I get though out the day. Nap time, when my mom comes over and is playing with The Toddler, when The Toddler accidentally closes the bathroom door and can't get in to watch me pee... And instead of watching tv in the evenings I've been reading. No more binge watching Gilmore Girls till 1 AM.

With all of that being said, here's what I've made progress on this week.

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson - I made this book my priority this week. I've been reading snippets of the other books here and there, but this one, especially in the last few days, has been the book I pick up first. I've finally made it past the half way point and things are starting to come together and get really good. As Marguerite from Everafter said "I do love a good intrigue!" and this book is full of intrigue.

The Relic Master by Christopher Buckley - Slow progress on this one, mostly because I'm trying to finish Gardens of the Moon, but once I can give it my full attention it will be a fast read.

Mary Boleyn; Mistress of Kings by Alison Weir - This one is a library book so I'm trying to make steady progress with it so I can return it on time and also because I love it. I have an obsession with Tudor England and have for many years. Mary is such a misrepresented figure and I love that Weir is laying exactly what we know and don't know about her so clearly. The Other Boleyn Girl, one of my favorite books of all time, created a lot of misinformation about her in the name of plot and although it works in the novel it's good to see the truth about Mary's life and career at court.

I'm also adding another book to the DNF list this week.

Essentialism by Greg McKeown- This book was recommended on a podcast that I love, The Simple Show from The Art of Simple blog, However the more I read of it the more I felt it just didn't apply to my life. The book is about saying no to stuff that distracts you from your main purpose, from the things that make your life happy and your job worth doing, which is probably great for most people. But for me, a super introverted, stay-at-home mom, with no career besides raising my daughter to not be an asshole, it just wasn't for me. So, I put it on the DNF list and returned it to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment