Thursday, January 5, 2017

Other People's Reading Goals and Life With a Toddler

I follow some large book blogs and authors on Facebook. In the last week quite a few of them have posted about the Goodreads Reading Challenge. I started looking at other peoples goals on a few of those posts. My overall goal for the year is 35 books and I thought that was pretty good by holy crap! Some of those people have set their goals at 2-300 books!

When I first saw that I was like 'Wow. I suck. My goals are nothing compared to some of these folks.' And I let myself feel bad for a while because it will be a long time before I can even think about having enough time to read that many books. With a small child, and hopefully more babies in the near future, it's just not going to happen for a while. I thought about it for a little bit and realized I can't compare my toddler-filled life with the life of anyone else as far a goals go. Our lives are different, our priorities are different, Our reading abilities are different. And that's okay. Reading isn't a competition. At least it's not for me. Well, it is, but not with other people. It's about being better than I was last year, It's about doing something I enjoy, that adds to my life, not turning it into a chore because I'm trying to be better than everyone. And seriously, anyone who has small children, reads 2-300 books a year, and still gets enough sleep is on a totally different level than me anyway.

Speaking of toddlers and getting enough sleep, here's an update on my progress on the RMSC. I've made no progress, because my toddler won't sleep! She really did not sleep at all Monday night. It was miserable and as a result I spent Tuesday keeping myself busy with cleaning and things so we couldn't fall asleep so she'd sleep Tuesday night, which didn't really happen. She was up until midnight and I still didn't get any reading in. So today, I'm exhausted, trying to wear out a toddlers inexhaustible energy, and I still haven't read anything. So that's where I'm st right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment